8.29.2010

The "Casual" Look

Have I shared with you my shopping rules?  No, I'm really not a "Rules Girl"...though I really like having systems in place for things!
- Never pay full price.  This means that unless you absolutely, positively have to, look for something cheaper somewhere else...it may take a bit of time, but it's so worth it.  I like shopping at thrift stores (when I have time).
- Only buy what you LOVE LOVE LOVE.  Then when you get home you don't have items in the back of your closet with tags still on them. What a waste of money, IMHO.
- Only buy what looks great on you.  If you feel you look "ok", forget it....you're not going to wear it.
- Don't buy with good intentions, again this is a waste of $$$$$$$ :)
Simple enough, huh?!  Ok, so this is what you get out of it:  you look great all the time.  I'm not patting myself on the back here, but I've had more than one person tell me, "you look 'put together'".  My other secret: I'm not.  I don't pretend to.  I'm soooo human.  I laugh at myself quite often!

Ok so the makings of a great everyday outfit, IMHO.  I love jeans, and I live in them.  Contrary to popular opinion, I do own pants other than jeans, but I really do love them.  It bodes well for me that denim in all forms is wildly back in popularity this season.  Leather too!  I digress.
Tee-shirts are my other love affair.  Remember I said I laugh at myself?  Yeah, I was the one who worked at Ann Taylor and suggested to our clients that they wear a tee shirt with a skirt.  In my defense, I'm not talking about a college tee.  I'm talking about a nice ruched or fitted tee.  But I think that knit fabric is probably the best material in the entire world.

So why am I describing my closet?  Because I'm about as casual as they come.  I own dresses, and skirts (my newest addition was a running skort from Jockey Person to Person.  LOVE IT!!), but I prefer casual clothes.
How does jewelry play into this whole business?  Well I'm glad you asked! ;)  First my rules.  Please take it from me.  I've been in the industry for 7 year (I know, big whoop.  But seriously, I know what I'm talkin' about here.  Don't believe me?  Go talk to any reputable jeweler, and they'll tell you the same thing).
1.  Big girls: please don't wear little pieces of jewelry.  It DOESN'T make you look smaller, it has the opposite effect and makes you look bigger, I'm very sorry to say.  This does mean that when it's your turn for a diamond, go for the 3 carat, not the 1/4 carat ;) (Actually, IMHO EVERY WOMAN should go for the 3 carat...)
2.  Petite women, you can drown in too much, but wearing more than dots in your ears is still a great idea.
     2a.  If you are petite/have a short neck, don't wear big earrings and a big necklace.  So pick one or the other.
     2b.  Big girls can get away with this (hint!). 
3.  To look 'pulled together', wear earrings.  That how to is on Facebook...and will someday (soon!) be a 'how to' here.  Currently, however, here's the link.  Because people typically look at your face, instead of, say, your wrist, wearing earrings helps you to look like you have it together, that polished look.  I even have a friend, though she is stunning, who will wear earrings, but not makeup.  I didn't know this for the LONGEST time!!  :)

So pulling it all together now...So driving to church today, I was not contemplating the beauty of God's creation, or churchy things, but alas was thinking of you, my sweet reader and how to share with you useful and perhaps useless info. :)  I know that times are tough for some folks...for that very reason I have this blog, and sell you jewelry.  Contrary to popular opinion, it's not so that you buy more.  It's so that you are more conscious with your money, and make wise choices.  
One of my newest followings is FlyLady...ahhh...I love her principles (ahem...system?)  One of her greatest pieces of advice is selecting your clothes the night before.  May I also subscribe to you, your jewelry as well?  Yes.  So.  In the picture below, you can see half of the bling I have on.  The other half is on my wrists.  I went with a neutral palette.  Shocker, I know!  But it was all laid out, and I was ready to jump into it in the morning!  One trick, I use because I'm tall but slender, with a small face, is that if I wear large earrings, they are better if they are neutral, then I keep that the focus...I had a huge silver bracelet too, but I didn't have huge earrings, huge necklace, huge bracelet.  


Lastly, but certainly not last,  I am all about saving you money.  You should know that.  I'm a frugal-ista! :D  In September, Park Lane is giving you $100 in jewelry totally free for referring a guy or gal to join Park Lane.  How 'bout that?!  That's pretty dandy!  Who do you know who has been wanting to work from home?  Who do you know who LOVES jewelry?  Who do you know who needs a job?  Who do you know who hates their job?  The DL for starting (you can refer yourself even).  It takes $5 and a party to start, and you can be anywhere in the United States or Mexico.  For the $5, you get $1000 in jewelry.  The only catch is, we want people who are committed to building a business.  Other than that, no catch.  Please email their name and phone #, and I'll do the rest.  You'll want to take advantage of this though, because usually the referral reward is $50 - a great deal but certainly not $100!!!

Oh, by the way, the poll is still open...please be sure to vote.  Although, from the looks of it, no one wants to see reviews, or combos...no eggs please :)
And please refer your friends, at least to follow the blog, and facebook.

2 comments:

  1. So as I was reading this it hit me that we NEED to go shopping together.. AND I totally forgot to tell you what I got with my $25 gift card at Target. ALL on sale... a whole new outfit, Skirt, shirt and hat.. Yup I wore them on Sat.. I LOVE that I can get a whole new me with just 25 bucks!!!!!! (oh and it was actually more like 24 because I had to get milk and so the total was 26 something.. how cool is that?) K.. just thought your post needed a random comment....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do NEED to go shopping together! Perhaps ditch the E's, and go thrift storing.
    Way to go! $25 is a SCORE! I got hair bows for $2 and change at Target today (and diapers, but those are no fun).
    I totally needed a random comment! This post was all over the place! (thanks to the internet dying part way though, and I lost my train of thought.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails